Monday, May 25, 2015

B Super Slide Stop: The Saga Begins

Parts have finally started really drying up for Star pistols, and we're now going to be moving into a new phase, where you have three choices:

  1. Everything becomes a wall-hangar. Oh, you can take it down and click it occasionally, but don't shoot it as it might break. 
  2. Get by with broken bits, but keep shooting. 
  3. Repair the parts yourself. 

I have recently acquired a B Super (I didn't have one lately before this) largely with Option #3 in mind.

It has one of the key problems that some readers have sent to me, namely the follower detector on the slide stop is sheared off. This is a real problem as there appear to be no replacements around anymore.

It is my intention to repair the part then, but first, let's examine it. This is a single part number to Star, in all lists and manuals. But it's not a single piece. Look close at the back end.


There's a screw. It's staked to avoid falling out, but not very hard. Wobbling it back and forth very carefully, with a very well-fitted screwdriver will allow you to remove it. Note that the screw has no stop point, so you can twist both ways and won't be over-tightening it. This is convenient for our removal purposes.

Once you get it loose, slowly unscrew it as there is spring tension. Not much, but be careful as these are tiny parts.



Back to front there is the screw/guide, a spring, and the plunger that provides spring tension for the whole slidestop/takedown lever portion.

I was hoping this would mean the follower sensor is also a separate piece that can be simply filed to shape, but no such luck. The answer will be welding a rod on here, but at least that welding won't ruin the slide stop mechanism now that we know how to take it apart.

When I get to the next step, I'll post that also.

8 comments:

  1. Did this work?! I have this same issue with my start model b super. Can I send the parts to you for repair. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. DIdn't get further yet. But my friends have gotten their new welder, repaired the old one and I am getting that. Sometime in the next few weeks I'll be getting a chunk of rod welded on, and try to file into shape.

    I'm not really in the business of this, and since it make come to me to weld, you do not want me doing that to your parts. But, may be a good guide if it works for your local gunsmith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No luck perusing Apex Gun Parts, Numrich and E-Sarco?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not at all. I went two levels deeper, calling (after 20 attempts, over days as they are those sorts of places) the secret, wholesale-only suppliers to those folks. Not hardly any Star parts in the system. And not a slide stop to be found.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've recently purchased a star super B, and having issues with fails to feed or will try to eject and push a round into the chamber simultaneously. Any ideas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure you don't diagnose anything about the gun based on one mag. Get more if you have just one. Then, change springs. They go bad, and these guns are all old. Clean in detail while you are at it. Most folks don't ever clean the extractor, and so on, and that doesn't help anything either.

      Delete
  6. Where can i purchase a firing pin for my star model f 22 pistol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As stated in the newer post about this, it's hard to find parts. Also, lots of models, so I don't keep track of inventory.

      Check out everyone here, and search the catalogs or call and ask them:
      http://star-firearms.com/info/parts.shtml

      Delete