Monday, March 23, 2020

Model D Starfire

Reader contributions help! I get a lot of info from people who send interesting guns, or even just ask about theirs, knowing nothing, and I say "ah, that explains a lot actually."

So, if you every have questions about a gun you see or own, ask. Much of the time I'll simply point you to the relevant pages. But maybe, it's the coolest, weirdest thing ever.

Today, I've just finished updating the Model D page with info gleaned from this reader-submitted pistol.


The Model D can be, very broadly, thought of as a Model S with a more typical compact pistol slide. It is in .380 ACP  (9 mm Browning Short), with variants of some models (always with an "I" suffix) in .32 (7.65 mm) caliber as well.

These are swinging link, locked breech guns, allowing for a much more light, compact, and easy-to-shoot pistol than the more typical .380/.32, which counters the unlocked action with a heavy slide and heavy springs.

The story of the D is convoluted in the US at least by marketing. Colt almost sold them under their own name, then that transferred to Iver Johnson, then FI. Among this also was one bearing the "Starfire" name. Some reports had that being an IJ sub-brand, but now I've found this Star branded one with that mark on the slide.

The grandfather of the Modern era named sub-brands, for Megastar, Firestar, and Ultrastar, I think.

And also, a gun in simply terrific condition. Much like my recently-acquired PD, there are nearly-new condition Stars to be had, if you are patient, and lucky.







No comments:

Post a Comment